home contact shows sights selected works
chronology phonography the bass tells half the story audible vision cthulhoid sounds and other inspirations physical media other musical projects
Recommended listening selected from the full archive on chronology.
- Theremin Dub - 9min55sec
- Film score for Act VI of Caligari: An Exquisite Corpse, from the CT-Caligari DVD
- Cardamom Traders - 5min34sec
- Cathedral - 00min45sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, and Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Effects: Moog MF-105 MuRF, Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator. (20 January 2008)
- Molly-be-damned - 8min8sec. Doomydroningmetallicsludge. What happens when you listen to SunnO))) while reading Pynchon. Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, Jekyll & Hyde distortion pedal, Way Huge Blue Hippo analog chorus, Z-Vex [Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz], Boss RC-20 Loopstation. Loop: E-H POG, Z-Vex [Ooh Wah, Ringtone, Seek Trem]. (posted 7 September 2008)
- Carlsbad Cavern Gallows - 14min15sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Chapman Stick, Moog delay, Moog lowpass filter, loop pedals. (16 March 2008)
- slabum - 13minutes28seconds. Tooling across an endless flat plain and a cracked concrete slab highway on a TRON lightcycle under a Gibsonian grey sky. Alesis Airsynth, Akai Headrush E2, Moog lowpass filter, ring modulator, delay, SD delay. Recorded 15 March 2009. (posted 26 April 2009)
- Angkor Pavilion - 11minutes47seconds. The bells overhead. Iron Muse of Judgment, cello bow, Moog delay, E-H POG, Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman. Recorded 26 April 2009. (posted 26 April 2009)
- rift - 7min12sec. Recorded on 7 January 2017. whiffle contact mic, Carcosa fuzz, Moogerfooger MF-105 MuRF, MF-104 delay, MF-104SD super delay, Marantz recorder. (Posted 7 January 2017)
- Hyponymic Involutions - 41mic41sec. Recorded on 23 February 2017. Surbahar with 2 K&K Big Shot contact microphones > a Whirlwind Selector AB switchbox (to merge the pair) > a Z-Vex SHO boost pedal > Akai Headrush 2 looper > Moog Moogerfooger MF-101 lowpass filter > Moog Moogerfooger MF-107 FreqBox > Moog Moogerfooger MF-105 MuRF > Moog Moogerfooger MF-105B Bass MuRF > Moog Moogerfooger MF-104 Delay > Moog Moogerfooger MF-104SD Super Delay > Boss RC-20 Loopstation > Boss RC-20 Loopstation > Morley / Tel-Ray EVO-1 ("oil can") Echo. Surbahar played with E-Bows and upright bass bows.
Merged in at the first Boss RC-20 Loopstation was a Raagini Pro tanbura simulator fed through a Z-Vex Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz and a Way Huge Blue Hippo analog chorus pedal. Recorded using a Marantz PMD-620 recorder. (Posted 23 February 2017)
- The Conqueror Worm - 15min35sec, with due acknowledgment to Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Price
- Frankenstein Lost in the Ice - 12min24sec. About two o'clock the mist cleared away, and we beheld, stretched out in every direction, vast and irregular plains of ice, which seemed to have no end. - Mary Shelley, _Frankenstein_ Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, Akai Headrush E2 looper, Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, 102, 103, 104, 104SD, 105, 105B.
- Crystal Coils - 17min38sec. Eagle 6-string fretless bass, Sustainiac Model B, Moog MF-104 and MF-104SD analog delays. Loopers: Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. (25 Nov 2007)
Note: This is a loud piece, be careful with headphones.
- Carl Kruger Versus Subscape Annex (Wave Motion Gun Remix) - 14min18sec, from a sample by Carl Kruger. Effects: Z-Vex (Seek Wah, Ooh Wah, Seek Trem, Ringtone), Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, 107, 104, 104-SD, Tel-Ray EVO-1. Loopers: Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. (28 Nov 2007)
- Bowlisten - 18min41sec. KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, on disconnected Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Line 6 DL4, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman), Moog MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-104 and MF-104SD analog delay pedals. (13 January 2008)
- Tuva - 8min09sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, and Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Effects: Z-Vex Ooh Wah, Moog MF-101 lowpass filter, Digitech Jamman loop pedal. (21 January 2008)
- Dunwich - 6min15sec. Moog Etherwave Pro theremin, Akai Headrush E2, E-H POG, Moog Moogerfooger pedals, Z-Vex pedals. (15 February 2008)
- Oilbow - 5min29sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Zeta Crossover electric upright bass and Westone Rail Bass. Loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman, Boss RC20 and RC20XL). (18 February 2008)
- Muting Straylight - 10min40sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Westone Rail Bass, Moog lowpass filter, bass MuRF, ring mod, looper pedals (Digitech Jamman, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (16 March 2008)
- Moors of Immanence - 10min40sec. Deleuze and Guattari go for a walk across the moors at night. Double-sided bow (K&K attached to Glasser bow), Zeta electric upright bass, Moog lowpass, phaser, MuRF, bass MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky), beard, vocals. (7 April 2008)
- Live at International Noise Conference - 5min32sec. Partial recording of a live set at the International Noise Conference US tour on 29 April 2008, at the Nightlight, Chapel Hill NC, USA. Recorded by Jeff Rehnlund with thanks. The Iron Muse of Judgment, bow, fingerstix, Moog lowpass, phaser, bass MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (29 April 2008)
- Nightlight Solstice Two - 15min51sec. Chapman Stick, E-Bow, capos, Z-Vexes, Moog MF-104 analog delay, loop pedals. (21 June 2008)
- Orreric Turbines - 3min46sec. The music of the Dark Satanic Mills of the Spheres. Chapman Stick, E-Bows, capos, Moog pedals, loop pedals. (22 June 2008)
- Board Feed - 15min15sec. Contact mics and field recordings, made 24 hours before performance on location at Meymandi Theatre at the Murphey School Auditorium, looped and processed live on 13 July 2008. Recording missing a couple of minutes of the beginning. Recording made and provided by Shaun Sandor, my thanks to him.
- Monks of Dagon - 12min20sec. Part I of the Shards Cycle. Included in the Sound of Re-use sound art festival in Australia, part of The Sound of Failure festival. (posted 3 September 2008)
- Garuda Wakes - 11min48sec. Part IV of the Shards Cycle. Included in the Sound of Re-use sound art festival. (posted 3 September 2008)
- Sleighride - 9min11sec. Chapman Stick, E-Bows, capos, Moog MF-104 analog delay, Boss RC-20 & RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. Part of the Silber Media compilation Winterizing. (posted 4 January 2009)
- Live at badgerhaus 22 April 2009 - 13min45seconds. The Iron Muse of Judgment, double-sided bow (K&K contact microphone attached to Glasser bow), Moog ring modulator, MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (posted 23 April 2009)
- Irem By Day - 10minutes45seconds. Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, contact-microphone-equipped bow, Danelectro Backtalk reverse delay, Moog MF-104 delay, RC-20 Loopstation, RC-20XL Loopstation, Digitech Jamman. Recorded in the studio on the afternoon 3 May 2009. (posted 5 May 2009)
- two_15may2009 - 13minutes40seconds. Recorded live 15 May 2009 at a house concert in Raleigh NC. Zeta electric upright bass, contact microphone on cello bow, loopers, Moog delay, MurF, ring mod. (posted 15 May 2009)
- Live 1 July 2009 - 28minutes27seconds. Live at badgerhaus 1 July 2009. Chapman Stick, three E-Bows, Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104, MF-104SD, MF-105, MF-105B, and Akai Headrush/Boss RC-20/Boss RC-20XL/Digitech Jamman loopers. (Posted 1 July 2009)
- Dire Wolves At Christmas North Of The Arctic Circle - 5min30sec - Contact mics, glass jar of rice, shingles, knives, copper pipe, fingernails, loopers, Moog delay, Danelectro Backtalk reverse delay. Composed for the Silber Records 2009 Christmas Compilation White Silber - A Cold Slow Xmas.
- a very long slow sigh (local copy) included in the Disquiet-curated compilation Lowlands: A Sigh Collective (posted March 2011)
- qutub (screenshot), included in The More Unknown C. Reider: 20 Years of Strange Sounds Reworked by the Netlabel Underground (posted March 2011)
- Nightside of Eden, included in the Stretched Landscape Remix Project
- The Dreamer Is Still Asleep - 6min15sec. Recorded on the 1st of November after powering on the main effects chain with no instruments plugged in, and hearing it breathe like this. (Posted 2 November 2015)
- The Four-Body Problem - 45min45sec. Recorded on 26 February 2016. Moog Etherwave Pro theremin, Moog MF-102, MF-103, MF-105, MF-105B, MF-104, and MF-104SD Moogerfoogers. (Posted 27 February 2016)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License